Sunday, August 7, 2011

What exactly is "bettering the breed"?

When I think of bettering the breed, I think of breeding the dog that is excellent at doing the thing it was originally bred to do. I think a border collie should be a champion in herding or obedience and confirmation if it is to be bred. I personally think it is more important for a dog to be a champion at what it was bred to do then just be a companion. Well, Bulldogs, Pekignese, and Basset Hounds were bred to look that way originally anyway, and I think they should only be bred if they haven't experienced genetic health problems. There are some breeds that were even originally bred to look that way, so I don't think of confirmation as making the breed worse, because they have always been that way. When it comes to a breed like the German Shepherd, THAT is when I get upset with confirmation, because of how messed up their spines and hips are. So many champion German Shepherds in confirmation have had OFA testings that show up as deformed because of how confirmation says they should look. Working German Shepherds can't compete in confirmation because they don't conform to breed standards, and gets me quite annoyed. I think that MOST breeds should always be entered in conformation to breed, but there are some exceptions that just make the breed worse, like the German Shepherd.

No comments:

Post a Comment